The Five Games That Could Save 2014 For PS4 Owners



Let’s be honest, people. It’s the only we can move forward. 2014, the first full year of the PlayStation 4, has been remarkably disappointing. THIS is the future? This is the generation that will redefine gaming? While every new tech takes time to really get off the ground, every delay of an exciting PS4 title and every new IP that came out more promising than breathtaking (I’m looking at you “Watch Dogs” and “Destiny”) added to the slump. There are a lot of “good” games to play on your PS4 right now. There are nowhere near enough “great” games. In fact, I would argue that the system still isn’t a must-own, as most of the major games are still coming out on the PS3. Are we going to have to wait all the way until “Uncharted 4” for that change? God, I hope not. And there are still a few games this year that feel like must-plays, titles that could compete for 2014 Game of the Year, which, right now, would go to….do we have to give one?
Quick Note: I’m super-excited for “Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel,” releasing 10/14, but that’s PS3-only, and I decided to stick with the most anticipated PS4 games for this Fall Preview.
Chronologically…
Runner-ups: “The Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor” (9/30), “Alien Isolation” (10/7), “LEGO Batman 3” (11/11), “Little Big Planet 3” (11/18)

10/14 “The Evil Within”

A new IP from Shinji Mikami, a creator of “Resident Evil”? Where do I sign up? We need a great survival horror game to help push the functionality of the PS4. I want something that I can play with the lights off this Halloween and “The Evil Within” (known awesomely as “Psychobreak” in Japan) looks to be just what Dr. Giggles ordered. The key draw here is what has been billed as an incredibly versatile, author-driven world. Your choices, your fears, your actions influence the gameplay. We need more games like that in this generation—titles that feel more in tune with the gamer than pre-scripted. Survival horror is a really tough genre to pull off. We’ve all played masterpieces and disasters within it. Let’s hope this is the former.    

11/3 “Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare”

I know, I know. Another holiday season, another “CoD” game. And a lot of people weren’t happy with the last one (although I’m a big “Ghosts” fan). Whatever you think of “Ghosts,” one has to be excited about the first “Duty” game developed on the PS4 generation. And this game has the potential to really be a breakthrough in terms of actors starring in video games in that they wrangled a two-time Oscar winner in Kevin Spacey to star in the game. I wouldn’t expect major changes to the gameplay even if the developers tout game-changing multiplayer. Only time will tell. But there’s a reason “Call of Duty” is one of the most profitable entertainment franchises in the world. Every King must fall someday, but I don’t think it will be with “Advanced Warfare.”   


11/11 “Assassin’s Creed Unity”

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag” is the best game in this franchise. I’m sorry but I don’t even think it’s close. And my hope is that Ubisoft Montreal will follow that title up with a back-to-back home run in the first game in the series exclusive to the PS4 generation (“Assassin’s Creed Rogue” will release on the PS3 in an attempt at market domination). “Unity” is set during the French Revolution in Paris, and reportedly follows a lot of the same mechanics and gameplay aesthetics of “Black Flag.” I’m sold. Although I’ll miss the harpooning.    

11/18 “Dragon Age: Inquisition”

Oooh, a “Dragon Age” game on the PS4. Again, I don’t need to know much to be excited. “Dragon Age II” is a phenomenal game, and these fantasy-driven experiences with giant worlds to explore seem perfect for the potential of the PS4. Think of the world you could create. I’m dying to find the first real environment that speaks to me on this system. Where’s the Skyrim? The Columbia? The universe of “Borderlands”? I want a fully immersive environment and I have a feeling that “Inquisition” has the best chance to give that  to me.

11/18 “Far Cry 4”

Speaking of worlds to explore, one of the most robust of the last generation was the surprisingly awesome universe of “Far Cry 3.” How do they follow that up? Little is known about “Far Cry 4” but that’s OK with me. Whereas the last game shattered low expectations, this one has a big bar to leap over to match “Far Cry 3” and carry us over until February 2015 when things really get going with “The Order: 1886,” “Bloodborne,” “Evolve” and “The Witcher 3.”) I expect “Far Cry 4” to really deliver. Then again, I’ve expected that of a few titles in 2014 that didn’t come through. Maybe 2015 will be the real breakthrough year of the PS4, but I’m not ready to give up yet. We’ll see if I still feel that way at Thanksgiving.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RON HOWARD DISCUSSES THE FORCES THAT SHAPE HAN IN SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ON THE STAR WARS SHOW